3/12/2011

A modern fairytale with a different kind of prince charming


The line that I typed on top in bold and capital letters is written at the back cover page of the book. I was in the mood of searching for a new book slash best seller yesterday even if I knew I had to study for my final exams. I promised myself though to only read the book that I'll buy after the exams. But like what they say, promises are meant to be broken. So you get it what I did.

     Beastly is like a modern fairytale inspired by obviously the classic Beauty and the Beast. It's about this guy named Kyle Kingsbury who is the most popular guy in his school from New York City. He is popular mainly because of his good looks, which I think Alex Pettyfer would be perfect for this movie role and his wealth because of his dad's job in a television company. Kyle has this sort of "bad boy" image because he would pick on the students he didn't like and he thinks he's totally the perfect guy for a perfect girl. I can't blame him for having such a high pride and over confidence. The way he was described in the book really seemed like he's not even enough to be described as perfect. He's flawless, beautiful, refine, impeccable and every girl's dream guy. (Insert blush and drooling face) He got this perfect life that most guys would envy even his own best friends. But, yes there's always a BUT in everything no matter how much we hate that word, he was cursed. Actually, it wasn't such a bad curse. He was just being taught a lesson. Here's what happened. There's this usual prom every year that happens in their school for juniors and seniors. Being the perfect guy, it's no question that he was nominated to become the prom prince. He even expected and knew it already that he would win. (See the over confidence?) Don't hate him yet though, because his "true colors" are just about to burst. When the students were about to vote, there's this girl named Kendra Hilferty, acted out by Mary Kate Olsen in the film, hated the coronation of a prom prince and a prom princess. She hated the fact that people only voted for the physical beauty and not because of their inner personalities. True enough, beauty should be judged on who you really are and not because you're blessed with the perfect face. Kyle noticed Kendra and made a code name for her who is "witch" because of the way she dressed up and the way she would channel out her opinions. Then the craziest idea went into Kyle's mind; he wanted to ask Kendra to come with him at their prom dance just for fun. If you didn't notice the part where he asked in the book, it seemed like he was genuine in asking but honestly he wasn't. Bad boy. Evil much. But anyway, Kendra said yes because probably she already planned how she'll ride with him with his own plan as well. In other words, she'll trick him more than he thinks he's playing with her. Oh I almost forgot telling you about Kyle's "girlfriend". Her slutty name is Sloane Hagen. This Sloane girl was the REAL date of Kyle to the dance. He didn't really like her and too far from loving her but because she was also the popular girl in school, he had to tag along with her. In my own opinion, it sounds ironic and so weird that popular people must date their "fellow popular mates". I mean, yeah you belong to a group of popular kids but WTH. To like or love someone isn't always based on their status or stand in the society of teenagers growing up. Sloane was babbling a lot to Kyle that she wanted to have an orchid corsage that would fit her slutty dress in her even sluttier figure. (Okay, I sound mean already for repeating the word slutty but it's her role. Pardon me Dakota Johnson who will act out Sloane's role in the movie. It's just a fictional character. No offense.) Kyle then ordered their household helper Magda to get an orchid corsage. But yes! All hail to Magda because she didn't get an orchid corsage. Instead, she got a white rose. In your face, Sloane. Of course, Sloane got upset at Kyle and refused to wear the corsage the entire night. Kyle had no choice but to give away the white rose to some other girl. Before that, as the roses lost its few petals, Kyle kept two of them in his pocket. I'm telling you this because the petals would symbolize something in the latter part of the story. When prom was over, Kyle found Kendra at his room when he got home. And well, since it's proven that Kendra really is a witch, I think you get what happened next. She cursed him to become a beast in a human form. The only way he could break the spell is if someone would love him even in his ugly face. And the not so worse but challenging part was, he got only TWO YEARS to find true love. The two petals from the white rose that I said he had in his pocket a while ago symbolized the number of years he would find that girl to love him. Kendra gave him a mirror that would let him see anyone he wants to. His search then began to find someone that would love him for who he really is. He was abandoned by his dad though because of his look but he tried to help him fix his son's face. He gave him everything that he needed even his own tutor, Will. Kyle changed his name to Adrian King so that people won't recognize him. Since Kyle meant "handsome" and he wasn't already, he made his name Adrian as well 'cause it meant "The Dark One." His non existence to the outside world seemed forever. He almost gave up but he didn't. He realized that looks didn't really matter most of the time. To make the super long yet super awesome story short, he did find his true love. He did break the spell. Or rather, Linda broke the spell by true love's kiss. Linda is played by Vanessa Hudgens in the film and she must absolutely give justice to her role. She is Adrian's first love and together they had their happy ending.


     Beastly, over all, is an awesome book. What more can I say? I finished reading it in a day and it is your modern Beauty and the Beast with a twist. It taught me that love is beyond what meets the eye. Love is about your genuine self and how you treat each other with respect and trust.  If you're wondering why my blog title has a prince charming which is from a different fairytale called Cinderella, it is because even if Kyle looked like a beast, he was a prince with a charm of his own. Forgive all the spoilers I said here. The book's amazing to read and it will let you remember your childhood days of believing in fairy tales. I, myself, still believe that fairy tales do come true and hopefully someday, you will have your own happily ever after with someone who's worth your love.